As we get older, our skin changes. Around 40, many people begin to notice they have “crepey skin” on their neck, chest, and even their hands.
What Causes Crepey Skin?
Skin on the body is fundamentally different from skin on the face and décolletage. Our face may get wrinkles from repeated muscle movements like smiling, frowning, or squinting; but body skin ages for different reasons.
Elastin fibers in the body’s skin allow it to stretch and return to its normal position, but over time these fibers break down and eventually lose their ability to heal completely, producing crepey skin.
Many factors contribute to this condition: sun damage, dehydration, lifestyle factors, or significant fluctuations in weight. But the good news is that there are solutions for minimizing the appearance of crepey skin.
Here are some tips to help you look your best:
- Minimize time in the sun. If you have to be outside, make sure to use a 30+ SPF product to protect yourself from further damage.
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water. This will improve your skin’s overall health AND help it look great!
- Don’t smoke! Not only does smoking damage your lungs and overall health, but it can also dry out your skin!
- Get plenty of rest. Reduce stress and get plenty of sleep to allow the body to repair itself.
- Eat well. A balanced diet full of antioxidants, vitamins, and omega-3 fatty acids promotes good skin health.
- Use a good moisturizer. A good moisturizer will improve the appearance of your skin and support its moisture barrier.
- Try a topical sculpting cream. Use a product specifically formulated to sculpt and tone skin on the body. Using quality products, like Revision Bodifirm® or Nectifirm® can help visibly firm, tighten and lift sagging, crepey skin. Look for ingredients such as retinol, niacin, vitamin C and hyaluronic acid.
Professional Skin Treatments
- Microneedling treatments. Microneedling with SkinPen creates tiny holes in your skin, triggering your body to produce collagen and elastin to heal the micro-wounds. SkinPen is completely natural; no chemicals or toxins are used during treatment.
- Chemical Peels. Getting a chemical peel can improve the appearance of crepey skin by removing the outer layer, revealing newer skin that is usually smoother.
Which Treatments are Best for You?
Integrated Dermatology of Tidewater offers many professional products and treatments to help correct sagging, wrinkled, crepey skin. With the right treatment and skin-care regime, you can look your best for years to come!
Mention this blog to get a FREE consultation with Lynne Hicks, Master Aesthetician. Call (757) 461-1033 Opt 1 to book your appointment today.
Integrated Dermatology of Tidewater
Integrated Dermatology of Tidewater, located in Norfolk, Virginia, provides comprehensive personalized dermatologic care to patients of all skin types, conditions, and ages.
Medical director Jonathan Schreiber, MD, PhD and the entire professional medical team at Integrated Dermatology of Tidewater approach dermatologic exams from the medical root of an issue, and similarly, cosmetic issues from the science of a treatment, using science-based support and results with the treatment services offered to patients.